Thursday, January 10, 2013

Injured Trail Runners Sue Race Organizers


And unfortunately, it's happening right here in the Northwest.

See the article from KOMO here.

So I actually feel very bad for this woman. I mean, I wouldn't wish a severely broken ankle on anyone. I know how small injuries affect me, not to mention one bad enough to possibly hurt my career.

And yet...and yet...

You've got to be responsible for yourself to a certain extent, yes? I've run a few trail runs and there are always spots where you think to yourself, "Whoa, that's (steep, muddy, wet, dangerous, fill in the blank)" and you immediately have to gauge your concern and take the appropriate steps. Right? I mean, you're running along a steep drop-off, does anyone really think, "hey, the organizers wouldn't have put the course here if there was any chance I could fall?" Of course not. You move away from the edge and pay attention. Maybe slow down just a touch.

Or not. But then you must decide to face the consequences of your decision.

That said, I'll be the first to admit that the new wave of Adventure Races seem to actually put runners in peril of injury or, at the very least, brief pain. And you know what? I don't like those races. I've never done one and never will. But the people that do them - they have to know there's a slight chance of getting an injury, don't they?

Take some responsibility for yourself.

And be careful out there.


photo from the Feld Thoughts blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment