Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Is It OK to Kill Cyclists?



That's the question Daniel Duane asked in the New York Times on Sunday. Once you get past the provocative headline, it's a fair question. I can't believe how often I read an article about a cyclist that's been hit and/or killed in the Northwest and see that no charges were filed against the driver. It's scary and it's absurd.

So what do I see this morning? You guessed it, a new headline in today's Oregonian: "Man who fatally struck cyclist in Washington won't face criminal charges."

I don't think it's necessary to get "blame" or "revenge" every time a cyclist is killed by a driver - accidents do indeed happen - but until the punishments against drivers start to fit the crime, bikers are taking their own lives in their hands every time they ride the roads.

That's not right.

2 comments:

  1. Are you taking a break? Missing your posts.
    If you are, Hope you enjoy a well deserved break. Maybe you are writing something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's been a while. I keep meaning to write up some kind of explanation, even though I don't have much of one. Yes, I'm not going to be updating the blog as much, though I will post at times. Yes, I'm trying to work on other (more worthwhile?) writing. Yes, my rib injury really lingered and took me away from running for weeks and sort of got me depressed, but I'm getting back to running now and getting excited about trying to get back into decent running shape. So...

    thanks for the comment and we'll talk again soon!

    ReplyDelete