Thursday, August 30, 2012

Back to the Marathon Training


Well, I definitely took it easy for a few weeks. Eased up on the mileage. Took a couple short vacations. Ate like a big, fat pig.

But now it's time to turn it back on. We're about 14 weeks from the California International Marathon. That means it's time to get busy.

I followed the 18 week Pfitzinger Plan for my last marathon. I enjoyed it, but it wore me out a bit. I felt like I was just about done after 14-16 weeks. I'm hoping by cutting it back by a few weeks, it will keep my old, old legs fresh. I'm also going to mix two training plans together this time around. Good idea? I'm not sure, but I feel like I'm faster over the last two months than I've been in more than a decade. I'm not ready to give up that speed. Not to mention, I'm still looking for PR's in the Fall Festival 10k in late September and the Runaway Pumpkin Half Marathon in late October. So I'm keeping a couple of the speed days a week from the Half Marathon Training plan I've been following lately. I'll keep the long days from the Pfitzinger plan. I think it will work.

We'll find out on December 2nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment