Friday, April 17, 2009

Best Running Song of the Month


Hey, who am I to argue with the people. You've spoken and you said you need some good music to get you out there and running. Brother, you came to the right place. I've got about 3000 songs on the old laptop and about 1000 on the new (ish) MacBook - and I've run to all of them.

Now let's get it straight right off the bat: I don't listen to slow, easy, 12:00 per mile pace music. I just don't. I need something that has some speed behind it. Something that's going to keep me going when I get tired.

Something with drums. Lots of drums.

With that in mind, I've got a great tune for you here: "Like Eating Glass" by Bloc Party. You know, sometimes you just have to run angry...and this is your song. At the end of that marathon, when your knees are grinding and you're ready to shove "goo" up the next smiling volunteer's nose...this song will get you through that mile.

If that one doesn't do it for you, don't worry, Bloc Party is the running band. These guys put out so much good, high-tempo, energy-driven music, you can't help but find a song to run to. Here are some of my other favorites:

-"So Here We Are" Just a perfect 10k-pace song...and it builds to a big finish. Set this one as your "power song" and hit it three minutes before the finish line.

-"Banquet" Jangly and bouncy. This one will get you out there when you don't even feel like running.

-"Helicopter" Got some speed work to do at the track? Here ya go - try to keep up with that.

-"The Prayer" Holy Cheese! Just heavy and fat and phat and pounding. Maybe this should have been the "don't run angry" pick.

Still not enough, try Halo, One Month Off, and Trojan Horse from their latest album.

Oh, and I just got a $25 iTunes gift card for my birthday (thanks bro!), so I'll be back with more good picks soon.

OK, get out there and run already.


thanks to Spirit-of-Rock.com for the cool photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment