Thursday, October 28, 2010

Bonk Happy with LARABAR!




Gluten free. Dairy free. Soy free. Non-GMO. Vegan. Kosher.

It's hard to argue with that. LARABAR gets to make all of those claims about its energy bars - and for a simple reason: they use very few ingredients. The Peanut Butter Cookie flavor, which the R's tested, contains Peanuts, Dates, and Salt. That's it. The Cherry Pie flavor, which the R's tested as well, contains Dates, Almonds, and Cherries.

So they're simple, which is good, although they do not have the added vitamins and minerals that many energy bars contain, if you're into such things. They're not extremely light on the calories, but again, at least you're sure the calories are all coming from natural sources.

Now for the important part: the taste! As usual, the bars were subjected to a strict, scientific testing process at the R's Laboratory, which is to say I did my best to make everyone in the family try at least one bite of each bar.

The results? Well...they varied.

I liked the Peanut Butter Cookie flavor very much. It was yummy. It was tasty. And for having three ingredients, it did actually taste quite a bit like a peanut butter cookie. Carson also enjoyed it.

Jen hated it. I don't mean she disliked it - she hated it. I think she spit it in the sink. Payton also acted like he hated it, but I think he just wanted to be like his mother.

None of us really liked the Cherry Pie flavor, which was strange because I thought that one would be right up Jen's alley. It was not to be. Apparently, she's not into natural foods as much as I may have thought. Apparently, she likes chemicals.

So the Cherry Pie is easy: let's say 5 BONKERS. And only that high because it's so "natural."

The Peanut Butter Cookie is tougher. I would give it 8 bonkers - it was good. Jen would probably give it 2 bonkers - and she'd probably give dirt a 3 or 4. So officially, let's give it 7 BONKERS. Why so much closer to my score than hers? It's my blog! Haven't you been paying attention?

No comments:

Post a Comment