Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bonk Happy with Luna Bar!



Unless you're a guy!

I gotta tell ya, I think Clif Bar is making a mistake by marketing these Luna Bars exclusively to women.

First, the reasoning: Luna Bars are high in Calcium, Folic Acid and Iron. Supposedly, women have trouble getting enough of those nutrients. Well ok, but those nutrients aren't exactly bad for men. Anybody would benefit from a decent dose.

Second, and this is a big one. A regular Cool Mint Chocolate Clif Bar contains 240 calories. If you're looking at that as a between meal snack, it's pretty hefty. A Chocolate Peppermint Stick Luna Bar contains 180 calories. Mainly because it's smaller. Still, if you're hitting these somewhat regularly, those 60 extra calories can add up fast. Strangely enough though, they both have 5 grams of total fat.

Third, I actually enjoy the Peppermint taste of the Luna Bar a little more than the Spearmint taste of the Clif Bar, although they're both very yummy.

Fourth, well fourth is a point for the Clif Bar. It's got 50mg of caffeine. In my book, that's a huge plus. I'm not a coffee drinker, so I take my caffeine anywhere I can find it.

Fifth, the Clif Bar has cool frosting stripes but the Luna Bar has a side frosted with white frosting and red sprinkles. That's a push.

It's a tough call, but I'll admit it: I'm not afraid to buy a bar that's labeled "The Whole Nutrition Bar for Women."

I just say I'm buying them for the wife.

Cool Mint Chocolate Clif Bar: 9 Bonkers

Chocolate Peppermint Stick Luna Bar: 10 Bonkers

No comments:

Post a Comment