Monday, April 7, 2008

New Ink, New Races, and New Injuries...


I know, I know, I missed last weekends' races completely. And I apologize. You see, it was Spring Break for my son, so we packed into the Kia and headed down to Oregon for a little vacation. I know, you're thinking, "And..." plus "Kia? Did you make it out of Washington?" Well, I did actually have the ol' MacBook, but trying to blog in between the Burgerville with free WiFi and the Fred Meyer Deli with free WiFi was just too tough for me. Plus...plus! I somehow mangled my knee (I think it was from jumping into the pool at the downtown Portland Hilton...I thought it was deeper than that), and was unable to run, actually barely able to walk, which always puts me in a fine mood to talk about running.

But hey, it's better now, thanks for asking. I'm going to give it a couple more days, then start running again, so all is well.

Yes, that new RaceCenter there has not a little new ink, but a lot of new ink! I've got two new articles in the April issue of RaceCenter: Performance Testing for Athletes and Reaching for the Rings (a preview of the Women's Olympic Marathon Trials). When I first saw the cover, I was a bit worried. I saw a female runner on the cover with the name "Farrell" on her nametag, but it was the wrong "Ferrell"! You see, I wrote about Marlene Farrell of Leavenworth, in the Olympic Trials article, and that was NOT her. I couldn't believe it, because Brook Gardner, the editor of RaceCenter, just doesn't make mistakes (which I appreciate GREATLY, by the way). So anyhoo, after browsing through the magazine, I realized that the runner on the cover is Catherine Farrell, of Eugene, who is in the Olympic Trials in the 5k, not the marathon. That's what I get for doubting Brook.

Finally, races!

April 12 / Pear Blossom Run 10k and 5k / Medford, OR

April 12 / Hills for Humanity 5k / Portland, OR

April 12 / Trout Lake 5k, 10k, and Half Marathon / Trout Lake, WA

April 13 / Whidbey Island Marathon and Half Marathon / Whidbey Island, WA

No comments:

Post a Comment