Thursday, November 13, 2008

Where have all the writers gone?


Yes, I know the blog has been pretty slow lately, but I'm trying to write this Nanowrimo novel, you see. Don't worry, I'll still get the race calendars up, but probably not much else for November.

Although I do have something to discuss today! What's with all the talented writers dropping down into the young adult ranks? Are the publisher's just desperate to find the next Harry Potter? Surely there's no more money in the Young Adult and Children's market than there is in the Adult market...is there?

Two of my all-time favorites are doing a LOT of this, to the point where they barely write adult novels anymore. Yes, I'm talking to you Pete Hautman and Rick Riordan. Others trying their hand at young adult novels are Ridley Pearson, Dave Barry and Carl Hiaasen. What the heck is going on?

Why I remember when I was a kid...you had to go straight from Encyclopedia Brown to Stephen King with no stops in between. If that was good enough for us, then why do these modern kids get all these quality writers working just for them?!

You damn kids! Get off my lawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment