Friday, June 12, 2009

Steppin' on the Beach!


Well, my desire to always run a race while on vacation is crashing head-on into my actual state of readiness for said run.

You see, the only run I could find during our vacation to Southern California was the Low Tide Stride in San Diego. It's an 8.2 mile run...on the beach.

Am I ready to run 8.2 miles? Not really.

Am I ready to run 8.2 miles on sand? Not even.

I've never been a big fan of running on the beach anyway - and you'll never find a bigger beach fan than me - but running on the beach...it just never seems flat. The beach always cants a little bit to the sea and it throws off your stride. Plus no matter how "hard-packed" and "low tide" it is, it's just plain and simple harder to run on sand than on pavement or a trail.

But I love running on vacation. I love being the guy that's far from home. I love seeing runners and races in different parts of the country and world.

So I'm running it...8.2 miles or not...sand or not.

Wish me luck.

RACES FOR WEEK OF JUNE 22nd TO JUNE 28th

June 26th / Main Street Mile / Boise, ID (a Friday Night Run!)

June 27th and 28th / Pacific Crest Marathon, Half-Marathon, 10k and 5k, Long Course and Olympic Triathlon, and Endurance and "normal" Duathlon / Sunriver, OR

June 27th / Lake Padden Triathlons / Bellingham, WA

June 27th / Run It Forward Bridge 2 Bridge 5k / Bremerton, WA

June 27th / Rock 'n' Roll Seattle Marathon and Half-Marathon / Seattle, WA

June 27th / Bridle Trails State Park 30k, 10k, and 5k Trail Runs / Kirkland, WA

June 27th / Summer Solstice Six Miles for SW / Vancouver, WA

June 27th / Hot Foot 5k / Port Orchard, WA

June 28th/ Siuslaw River Sprint Triathlon / Mapleton, OR

June 28th / Reach the Bridge 8k / Portland, OR

June 28th / Arlington Airport Run 10 and 5k / Arlington, WA

June 28th / Shore Run 6.7 mile and 5k / Seattle, WA

June 28th / Scotiabank Vancouver Half-Marathon and 5k / Vancouver, BC

June 28th / Low Tide Stride 8.2 mile run / San Diego, CA

Thanks to Nick.com for SpongeBob.

No comments:

Post a Comment