Monday, March 5, 2012

Pete Pfitzinger Marathon Training - FTW!

Whew...just finished week five of the 18-week Pete Pfitzinger Marathon Training Plan. The long run yesterday was a 16 miler, in which I was supposed to run a number of miles at marathon race pace (well, who's kidding who, I was supposed to run 10 of the 16 miles at marathon race pace, but that just wasn't going to happen).

So we're now three months away from my goal race in Newport. Will I be ready to run at Boston pace in three months? Well, that's the question, isn't it?

I think I'm improving. If we compare my run yesterday to a long run (12 miles) from three weeks ago, I'm definitely getting faster. In both runs, I had five miles that were at a pace well above average. In the run three weeks ago, those five fast miles were averaged at 8:15. Yesterday, those five fast miles were averaged at 7:48. Which is good, because that's the pace I need to run the whole stinking marathon at in Newport.

So the speed is coming around. But what about the endurance? I won't lie, I don't think I could hold that pace for more than about eight or nine miles right now. Can I increase that to 20 or 22 in three months (figuring that I can somehow survive the last few miles on willpower alone, I guess)? I don't know, but that's the goal.

Sometimes you've got to put the over-thinking and worrying aside and just trust in the program. The Pfitzinger Plan has worked for lots and lots of runners - there's no reason it shouldn't work for me, right?

Right?

170

2 comments:

  1. In my line of work, "Trust the Process", is my mantra. Maybe it will work for you in this situation. Overthinking can get us in trouble. Thanks for your encouragement a few weeks ago. Honestly, I quit believing a few times, but I stuck with it. Now I'm down 7-8 pounds consistently, which is right at my "fighting weight". I think I'll stop, at my age, the face only gets longer and the body stays the same after a point. My hip does feel better than 2 months ago, so who knows?
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn:

    It's brutal how long it can take to drop a single pound for good, but it's always been my experience that if you stick to the workout plan (and don't go crazy with the dark chocolate!), eventually the weight will drop.

    But the waiting! Oh, the waiting...

    And don't even bring up the age thing. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think, "who the hell is that?"

    ReplyDelete