Tuesday, March 27, 2012

New RaceCenter NW Magazine Article is Out!


And it's about streaking!

Keep your pants on, it's not about that kind of streaking. No really, keep your pants on. This is a family blog here! Well...sometimes....

Anyway, let's start at the beginning. I've got a new article in the April/May issue of RaceCenter NW. If you're heading to your local running store soon, pick one up. If you're one of those people that likes to get all techie on us, then head over here for the fully digital version. And over here for all the digital versions of issues from the last year or so.

So let's flip through the pages here and see if there's anything to see.

OK, on the cover, we've got the Eugene Marathon. "Track Town." Sure, I guess. Then the Editor's Note. Brook talks about "humble pie," and how runners love to get a serving, or not. I'm not sure, I was sort of hungry when I read it and he kept talking about pie, and...

Next, we've got the News Briefs: Foot Traffic opens another store in Portland, ClubSport has new tech and Warrior Dash has three events in the NW in 2012. Good, good.

Oh wait, there are more Briefs: Vancouver USA Marathon news, Heaven Can Wait 5k rolls into Bend, Spokane to Sandpoint Relay, and the Germans Love Them Some Portland Marathon. Also good and very nice.

Holy smokes, more Briefs: Marathon keeps growing in the US, and Cherry Blossom Fitness Festival debuts in The Dalles....and I turned the page and there's still more...Blue Lake Tri hits 29 years, Bike MS hits Willamette Valley, and Baker City gets a Cycling Classic. Whew.

Then we've got an article from my boy Max King. Max, who recently missed a turn in the Chuckanut 50k, talks Acclimation 101 on heat and altitude. Good stuff.

Donna Marlor, who has all sorts of initials and stuff after her name, writes about Fluids, Electrolytes and Optimal Race Performance. See, if you've got the RD and the CSSD and the MD and the PhD and things like that, you get to use four-syllable words in your article title. I, personally, try to stick to one syllable: Go. Streak. Yay! I don't like to confuse people right off the bat.

Then we've got USATF stuff.

Then a good article from Jeff Browning on running your first trail 50k. And it's got a big picture of R's Fav Jenn Shelton right at the front, so you know it's got to be good reading.

Next is an article from tri stud Chris Bagg about not feeling bad when you're a loser. I've seen that guy race and I'm not sure he's the right guy to write that article - he's faster than hell. When you title an article "Surviving Disappointment," you probably should hire me to write it.

Then Teague Hatfield talks about the "offset" of running shoes. This is a touchy subject for me because I like shoes with a decent sized offset between the heel and toe, but this whole minimalism craze is driving the shoe makers to shrink the offset down. It's the reason I no longer run in the Nike Max Moto.

Then, THEN, we've got a great article from the R's about Streaking and Running. In other words, running lots of consecutive days or consecutive races. Fantastical article - you'll love it, I'm sure.

After that, an article with two of my favorite Oregon runners featured, Lauren Fleshman and Kara Goucher, talking about their Olympic plans.

Brian Burk talks about swimming in open water - one of my favorite activities, but still something that stops plenty of people from even trying outdoor tris.

Then Event Calendar and Ads and we're done. All in all, a very good issue. Quite a few articles that I'd read all the way through in this one, and trust me, with my attention span, that's saying something.

169

No comments:

Post a Comment