Saturday, September 22, 2012

Nike Pegasus 29 Review


So the new Nike Pegasus is out...and I've been nervous since I saw the first picture of the updated design a few months back. It doesn't really look like the Pegasus 28.


I'd say, if anything, it's looking quite a bit like the Lunarglide.


The sole doesn't have the block in the outside of the heel any longer. It's now just a solid block of Cushlon. Apparently still has Zoom Air in there, so the end result probably isn't much different. And indeed, it feels about the same on the foot...well, cushion-wise anyway.

And yes, I do have something to compare them to...yes, I do.


I've been a big fan of the Pegasus for a few years. Which might explain my apprehension on the changes:
-traction design is different
-sole design, as mentioned earlier, is different
-and the upper is hugely different

So after a few runs, here are my thoughts on the Pegasus 29.

I haven't used them long enough, or in any kind of wet weather, to comment on the traction design that much. I was NOT a fan of the old traction design, so any change is OK with me. I thought the old traction design was a little slippery in the rain and seemed to wear out pretty quickly.

The sole, although very different in appearance, feels pretty much exactly the same as the old one. And that's a good thing. It's very cushioned, great for long training runs or long races. It also has a big heel to toe drop. Again, that's fine with me. If you're a minimalist, zero-drop, type of person, you already know that this is not the shoe for you. But if you're old-school, and want a decent drop in your running shoe, here you go.

Now the upper. Well, it's radically different. It's very light, very thin, mesh material. And there's not much in the way of overlays. It's just light. And that's good. I mean, I like the way it feels on my foot. But...it worries me a bit too. It almost feels a little too light. Too insubstantial. I would not wear this shoe on a long trail run - I'd be afraid of blowing a toe out the front or the side. Now I have no idea if this is true - I've only worn them four times now - but that's definitely how it feels.

So overall, I think they'll be good. They feel about the same, only lighter. That's good, right? Only time will tell if the upper material truly is durable. If not, I'll be back to let you know. Until then, light is good. Every ounce off my person is an ounce I don't have to drag 26.2 miles!

Let's run!

No comments:

Post a Comment