Thursday, July 22, 2010

Energy Bar Review - Zone Perfect


Well, it's finally gotten to that point.

When the energy bar section at the local Fred Meyer only covered 59% of the total shelf space of the entire grocery section, I figured, "Nah, I don't need to bother talking about these things...probably just a passing fad."

But today, my friends, the local Fred Meyer Health Section Shelf Restocking Lackey jammed one more box of Energy Bars onto the shelf (probably the 167th variety of Clif Bar) and BAM! We're over 60%.

So I think we need to discuss this energy bar thing.

Therefore, from here out, at totally random intervals due to my shopping schedule and patience, the R's will put on a blindfold, walk through the Energy Bar aisle, and stick the tail on a random bar.

Then review it.

And today's bar is: Zone Perfect Double Dark Chocolate!

I don't know, apparently this bar follows the Zone Diet (although Wikipedia says I don't have to capitalize it...zone diet), which is a 40-30-30 split of carbs, protein, and fat in a person's daily diet.

I understand the 30% fat thing - this damn bar has 25% of your daily saturated fat...yikes! It does also has quite a bit of protein, from the soy nuggets, I guess. And it says it all natural, but I count 53 ingredients, and that's before you get to the added vitamins and minerals. Yes, 53!

Whatever. I don't believe in any Zone Diet or any other diet with a capitalized name that starts with a A or a Z. Or pretty much any letter in between.

But I do believe in the taste of this baby! Damn, it's good! I guess that's what happens when you put five grams of saturated fat in there - yummy! If you like chocolate, this would make a good dessert bar for you. Energy bar? I don't know about that, but at least you'll bonk happy!

Let's give it 6 bonkers! That would be 9 for the taste and 3 for the fat content. Yeah, that's 12...divide by two...that's 6...that's what I said, smart guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment