Sunday, January 9, 2011

Jeff Galloway Method at the McDonald Forest 50K?


As my man Manny B has been telling me for years, the Galloway run/walk method is the way to go on a long race. Of course, it flies in the face of most runners' egos because it forces you to walk, and walk early.

But, as I'm staring the evil that is the McDonald Forest 50k in the face, I figured maybe I should give Galloway a chance.

So I headed over to Willamette Park today and did a very simple, and very easy, one hour run using the Galloway beginning method of one minute running and one minute walking.

The results?

Pretty amazing: about 5.5 miles in 60 minutes for just under a 11 minute pace. That's half run and half walk!

Now I'm not saying it's necessary for the many 5k's and 10k's and even the one half-marathon that I'll have to do to Run Every Race in Corvallis in 2011!

But for the McDonald Forest 50K? Yeah, we might be onto something here...

Stay tuned. More results to come...

2 comments:

  1. Scott,
    I am not sure how I found your blog, but I check in periodically. Welcome to Corvallis.
    The MAC50K is a very fun race, challenging but loads of fun.
    The galloway method has been used in the Ultra world since long before Galloway. The general method is Ultras, especially hilly courses, is to walk the up hills and run the flats and downs. If you do that on the MAC course you will be able to finish in a good time. Obviously If you want to win or be in the top 5, you will need to run more.
    There are groups running in the forest every weekend. Join the corvallistrailrunners yahoo group to be notified of runs. As we get closer to the Mac we will be running sections of the course.
    Contact me if you want more information.
    daveb_60ATyahooDOTcom
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave:

    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete