Thursday, September 15, 2011

Age Graded Pace Calculator!


I know, I know, you young pups out there are all like, "what's the old guy talking about now? Is this math class or something?"

Sure, funny guy, now GET OFF MY LAWN!

OK, back to the calculator. Once you're a crusty old runner like me, you have to start focusing on times that aren't quite so far back in the rear view mirror. I mean, do I really expect to run a 5k as fast as I did 20 years ago? It would be fantastic, but I'm not sure it's going to happen.

But there is a way to compare the times you're running, at any age, to the times you ran, say, way back when.

It's called a Age Graded Pace Calculator. Here's one at Runner's World. Here's one from the Heartbreak Hill Striders. Here's one from Marathon Guide.

It doesn't really matter which one you use - they all do the same thing. Namely, they handicap running times by age and gender. So you can compare yourself to that college kid that just sprinted by you or just compare yourself to yourself...when you were younger.

It's a fun tool. The Runner's World version also shows what kind of time you need to be World-Class, National-Class, Regional-Class and Local-Class. Personally, I'm hovering at Local Class in most distances - need to pick it up a bit.

Hopefully, these will be some use for you. Let's face it, we ain't getting any younger!


I love that photo of the old school Puma...that damn thing runs on a Commodore 64! That's what I'm talkin' about!

No comments:

Post a Comment