Thursday, March 22, 2012

Running a Half as a Test for the Marathon

And here it is, the Corvallis Half Marathon. So soon...

Ready or not, I'm looking forward to the Corvallis Half for a number of reasons:

1) It's my Streak Race.
I ran my first Corvallis Half last year, which was the inaugural running. I plan to keep running it every year until I can be one of those annoying people that says things like, "I've run this race every year for the last 26 years! I was running this race in short-shorts back when your momma was still powdering your backside! I could run this race blindfolded with my shorts on my head like Chevy Chase in Vacation...and still beat you to the finish line!" You know...one of those guys.

2) It's my test for the Newport Marathon.
If I can run the Corvallis Half, which is much more up and down than Newport, in anything resembling the pace I need to keep at Newport, I'll feel pretty good. On the other hand, if I have trouble keeping my Boston pace for a half marathon, I'm probably in serious trouble at the full six weeks later.

3) It starts about two miles from my own home and bed and about 100 yards from my office at OSU.
I can hide in my warm office, with a real bathroom just down the hall, until close to start time. If it's a cold, rainy day (and why wouldn't it be?) this will be a clear advantage.

Let's race!

RACES FOR WEEK OF APRIL 9th TO APRIL 15th

April 13th and 14th / Snake River Sprint Triathlon / Lewiston, ID (2nd week in a row for a split-day tri!)

April 14th / Whidbey Island Marathon, Half Marathon and 5k / Oak Harbor, WA

April 14th / Run for Your Life 5k / Yakima, WA

April 14th / Beat Coach Pete Scholarship 5k / Boise, ID

April 14th / Camp Quest 5k / Happy Valley, OR

April 14th / Y Run for Kids 5k / Tacoma, WA

April 14th / Pear Blossom Run 10m and 5k / Medford, OR

April 14th / Newberg Camellia Run 10k and 5k / Newberg, OR

April 14th / Running for Risa 10k and 5k / Tigard, OR

April 14th / Rage in the Sage Mtn. Duathlon / Benton City, WA

April 14th / Squak Mtn. Trail 50k, Half Marathon and 12k / Issaquah, WA

April 14th / Rotary Run for the Kids 5k / Veneta, OR

April 14th / YFC Run for Youth 5k / Seattle, WA

April 15th / Corvallis Half Marathon / Corvallis, OR

April 15th / Captain Jack's 8k Treasure Run / Kirkland, WA

April 15th / Bridge to Brews 10k and 8k / Portland, OR

April 15th / Bridgeway Run for Autism 8k and 5k / Eugene, OR

April 15th / Peterson Ridge Rumble Trail Run 40m and 20m / Sisters, OR

April 15th / Hope Run 5k / Spokane, WA

April 15th / ORRC Vernonia Marathon and Half Marathon / Vernonia, OR

April 15th / Vancouver Half Marathon / Vancouver, WA

April 15th / Alger Alp Trail 50k, 25k and 5m / Alger, WA

April 15th / Spring Fling Half Marathon, 10m, 10k, 5k, Triathlon and Duathlon / Elma, WA

169

No comments:

Post a Comment