Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sweet Water of Life!


Well, chlorinated water, of course.

OK, if you're under 40 years old, you might as well quit reading now...I've got nothing to say to you here (actually, I do - "GET OFF MY LAWN!")

If you're over 40, listen up, because this is really for you.

For some reason, when I really got into the marathon training a few months back, I slowly fell off from the swimming and biking and increased the running. After a while, I wasn't swimming at all, biking maybe once a week and running the other four or five days with one or two days off. Yeah, basically I forgot I was an old man.

Mistake.

Now I've got a touchy quad and the quality of my runs seems to have gone downhill lately. I needed something to turn it around...and fast. And I think I found it - yeah, swimming.

The past couple weeks, I've been following up my running days with a nice, long, easy swim. And I'm feeling so much better. I'm feeling stronger, less muscle soreness, more energy. Why did I ever stop? I love the water!

The quad's still a little touchy...can you run a marathon on nothing but swim training?

I may yet find out.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott-
    Not much time to comment, except to say, when I see you next I would love to discuss cross training as it relates to running, climbing, etc. I don't have easy access to a pool, but have been contemplating how to mix running with biking in a way which leads me to a goal (which could be climbing mt adams or a half marathon, not sure which).
    And I am a bit over 40 :)
    Take care,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on it!

    Oh, and I know you're a smidge over 40...wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

    ReplyDelete