Saturday, August 7, 2010

Bonk Happy with Honey Stinger!




Yes, it's time for another Energy Bar review.

Now, before we get started on our latest review, let's review something else: the R's take on energy bars!

The R's says, and I quote, "Energy bars are utterly worthless."

Now don't get me wrong - I spend more money on energy bars than just about anyone out there. But do they offer athletes anything that an english muffin with peanut butter and a glass of chocolate milk doesn't? Well, convenience. That's it. So don't think I'm promoting these things past the fact that they're easy to put in your pocket. So why do I review? Simple, we all eat them, and in the end they're all about the same...except for one small thing. The taste! If you're going to bonk anyway, why bonk after eating somthing nasty?

Bonk happy!

That said, let's review!

So the Honey Stinger. I got the Peanut Butter 'n Honey flavor. Why? Cause I thought the Berry one sounded slightly nasty. Maybe I'll try that one later.

So first - the label. It says "over 30% Honey." That's good, I guess. As far as sugar products go, it's better than "30% high fructose corn syrup" anyway. It also says "chocolately soy coated bottom." I'm gonna say "chocolately soy coated bottoms" sound fun in the bedroom, not so much on my energy bar. I'm a little wary of that "y" on the end of "chocolate." What, regular chocolate isn't good enough for Honey Stinger?

Anyway, to the back of the label. It's got 190 calories, which is pretty light for an energy bar, so that's cool. It's also got your usual collection of added vitamins and minerals, which is okey-dokey with me. Not a whole lot of saturated fat, which is nice after our last review of that Perfect Zone thing. I'm still trying to work off that one.

A little protein from the soy...and that's about it. So let's move on...

Now the important stuff: the taste! Well, it's a lot - a whole lot - like a Tiger's Milk bar. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I mean, Tiger's Milk...dude, they were old school before there even was a school! So I guess, if Honey Stinger is going to copy somebody's taste, Tiger's Milk isn't a bad way to go.

It's sort of peanuty, sort of honeyey, sort of chocolatey (damn, there's that "y" again), sort of old-schooly. What can I say? It's pretty tasty. Not as tasty as the Perfect Zone I reviewed last time, but maybe that's the lack of saturated fat!

I'm gonna give it 7 "bonkers" total. Yes, that's out of ten - c'mon, work with me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment