Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Red, White and Blue Riverfront Festival 5k Race Review!


You know how some races just align with the stars? You line up at the start line and your legs feel fresh, your mind is totally focused and you're ready to push your body harder than you ever have before?

Yeah, this was not that race.

Hey, it wasn't the fault of the...man, I don't want to type that whole thing again...let's just say the Red 5k. It's not you, it's me! I mean, if you think I'm going to complain about a race that costs $4, think again.

But as I head farther into the abyss that is the EPIC 2011, and this was my 16th race of the year, I'm starting to realize it's very much a double-edged sword. While a bad race is easily forgotten, since the next race is never far off, I'm realizing it's pretty hard to get mentally prepared for every race. Sure, a 50k or a Half Marathon, heck, even a sprint tri, gives you enough to work with. You can see the challenge there and prepare yourself mentally and physically.

But another 5k, on a course that I've raced, honestly, three times already this year? Man, I was standing on the start line and I just wasn't there mentally. I had a bit of an upset stomach since the night before, my legs were a bit tired, it was hot, and frankly, I had absolutely no reason to believe I was even going to approach a EPIC PR.

Sheesh.

Really, the best thing I can say for my performance here is I managed to hang on to beat Payton. Let me tell you, when he gets his lungs in good enough shape to beat me in a race (and it will happen sooner rather than later), I want it to be memorable for both of us. I want him to earn it. So we both still have that to look forward to.

Ah well, maybe I just need a vacation...

Out to the Ballgame 5k - Hawaii Satellite Race coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment