Thursday, May 24, 2012

Want to Run Faster? Get New Socks!


Crazy, right?

Crazy like a fox!

So, I'm working on a new theory here. Over the last 25 years, the sport of running has gone through some unbelievable technological changes. And while running sock technology is hardly at the forefront of anyone's mind, they too have gone through a number of changes. I mean, just look at those three-stripe monsters.
Since then, running socks have become shorter and shorter, stopped using cotton and started using man-made wicking materials, and have become thinner and thinner.

I'm good with the short socks and I'm all about the poly materials (cotton just doesn't do the trick). However, I have an issue with the thinner part. I actually think that a newish pair of socks (not too thick, but not too thin!) can make your feet and legs feel as fresh and ready to run as a new pair of shoes.

I know, I know, you're thinking, "the R's has really gone off the deep end this time - he needs to lay off the bananas. The potassium is building up in his brain."

Maybe you're right.

But do a little test. Before your next training run, in your old, worn-out running shoes, put on a brand new pair of high quality running socks and see how your feet feel at the end of the run.

Then let me know if I'm crazy.

Top sock photo from Dave-Sensei's Blog...for the love of God Dave, get some new socks!

167

No comments:

Post a Comment